NOW TV, the online streaming service, will launch the Sky Sports Month pass as part of a series of exciting new developments to the service. These will also include the roll out of a brand new box and an improved user interface. Speaking at the Future of Broadcasting Conference in London today, Sky’s Chief Marketing & Digital Officer, Stephen van Rooyen said the new products and services will help build on the considerable momentum the service has created since it launched three years ago
NOW TV was designed for customers, particularly in Freeview homes, who like the quality and choice of entertainment Sky offers but want the flexibility to dip in and out any time. Taking advantage of the rapid growth in broadband-connected devices, and building on Sky’s experience in multi-platform TV, the service provides an additional way to watch and enjoy:
- Sky Movies – NOW TV offers over 1,000 movies on demand with more of the latest blockbusters and up to 16 new premieres each month.
- Sky Sports – NOW TV is the only streaming service which offers commitment-free access to all 7 Sky Sports Channels and the best live sporting action.
- Entertainment – NOW TV lets customers watch the must-see shows on 13 of the best pay TV channels including Sky1, Sky Atlantic, Sky Living, FOX, MTV, and Nickelodeon. It also offers access to over 250 box sets.
The new Sky Sports Month Pass is perfect for customers who want access to exclusive sport, like Major golf, international cricket and Premier League football, for an extended period of time. The Month Pass will cost £31.99 with no commitment to subscribe and will be available in time for the kick-off of the new football season. Access to premium live sport is cited by customers as one of the main reasons they choose NOW TV. Customers currently have the choice of a day pass for £6.99 or a week pass for £10.99. Sports transactions have trebled with over 1 million reported in the last nine months.
The next generation NOW TV Box will go on sale in August for £14.99 offering customers an even faster and smoother experience. It will follow the success of the original box, launched in July 2013 which quickly became the most popular way for customers to enjoy NOW TV over any other device. The new box will include an Ethernet port to support a wired as well as wireless connection and a processor that is five times faster
Changes to the user interface will be rolled out across NOW TV supported devices over the coming months making it even quicker and easier for customers to get to the channels and content they want. Further updates will be rolled out later in the year which will include an improved search function as well as enabling customers to automatically play next episodes as well as the ability to easily tag, save and find favourite shows.
NOW TV was launched in July 2012 to unlock new pockets of demand across the UK to complement the continued success of the Sky TV platform. In the most recent quarter, Sky reported its highest customer growth for 11 years in the UK and Ireland with NOW TV customer growth up 30% versus the same period in the previous year
At the conference, Stephen van Rooyen outlined what Sky had learnt about NOW TV customers since it launched:
- They don’t crossover with the Sky customer base: Over 90% of customers had never considered Sky before signing up.
- They dip in frequently: On average NOW TV Entertainment pass customers watch over five hours per week of the best pay channels on the service while Movies pass customers watch almost six hours of movies each week.
- They like variety: Almost 30% of NOW TV customers buy more than one pass each month
- They are enthusiastic streamers: Almost 40% of NOW TV customers also subscribe to Netflix and around 20% use it alongside Amazon Prime. NOW TV differentiates itself because Sky’s investment in content means it can offer more of the latest TV shows as well as twice as many of the recent blockbusters as those services combined.
Stephen van Rooyen, Chief Marketing & Digital Officer, Sky commented: “NOW TV has established real momentum since it launched nearly three years ago. The acceleration in our customer growth shows NOW TV is attracting customers in a way that is complementary, not at odds, with the Sky TV service. As with the Sky platform we are committed to constant improvement so we can produce the best experience for customers as well as developing exciting new services and features for them to enjoy.”